No - this is not my house . . .

This photo was part of a creativity exercise I did a while ago which was a study of light, shadow and textures. This is one of a group of rental cottages in Truro, MA which is here on Cape Cod. Check out the slide show for more pics.







To view a larger image of the photos in my posts - just click on the image. Then use your browsers back button to return to the blog post.

28 August 2010

Virtual Stamp Night over at SCS!

Split Coast Stampers is having one of their Virtual Stamp Nights Friday and Saturday.  Think a stampers party where every one is playing at home and is connected by their computer to other stampers.  A challenge is posted at 1 hour interval and you have 45 mins to complete your card.  Its an honor system so if you join the VSN late you can still play.  It was fun to try to do the challenges as they were posted - I did the first, second and fourth challenges.  I am hoping to do challenge 5 tomorrow morning.  They will be picking up with challenges as of noon but as I have to get some yard work done I will probably join them again tomorrow night.

So the first challenge was hosted by my fellow blogger Judi who writes Paper Rose Petals.  She is a wonderful water colorist and I encourage you to go check out her cards.  The VSN theme was Summertime in the Land I love and Judi's theme was Food - anything that reminded you of summer foods.  If you go look at her card you will see that she did honey because of time on her grandparents farm.  Her card just set me off in a flash because I had been out searching for local honey today at the Osterville's farmers market to replace the one I bought at the Marstons Mills winter farmers market (I will be off on Tuesday to continue this search as the lone offering there was not as good as the one I got this spring).  So here's my honey themed card:

My stamps are old MSE when Alesa Baker designed for them colored with Copic Ciaos. DP is from DCWV

The next challenge was based on Summer breezes and had us making a card that either had a window image or had a card window (which I went for).  I love nothing better then sitting in my backyard and watching the tons of different butterflies that come by this time of year floating on the slightest breeze that stirs.  So here is my little offering:

Image - Inkadinkado Garden Flowers by Brenda Walten; Sentiment from MSE; Butterfly and border punches MS, Nesiblities oval, Recollections adhesive gems and Elmers 3D sparkle glue. Blue memories ink.  I have never done an offset sentiment like this - but card is smaller then standard envelope so it will work out okay.

The third challenge I chose to skip and spend time looking and commenting on the cards posted from the other challenges.  I then joined the fourth challenge which was "Let's go Camping".  As my Dad was not into all that stuff (he liked old cars and trains), I don't have much on that line although nature was an acceptable way to go with the cards.  Hmmmmm well this card turned into a true challenge.  I was going to go with my cricut and SCAL - but half way through my card I had a major malfunction of the card (not the cricut or SCAL but rather the image I thought I could cut did not work in a small scale and completely started coming apart - NOT pretty. So I decided to challenge myself to make a card in the time remaining - about 20 mins. I had this great owl stamp from Inkadinkdo Florishes (nothing more unnerving then laying in your sleeping bag and hearing whhooo whooot whhooo whooot) and I just started sponging a circle I already had in my stash that also had a matching frame circle in brown with Tim Holtz Distress Ink. Grabbed some lovely DP (I think its DCWV but not sure) and brown ribbon and a card was born!


 This just proves you can make a decent card in under a half hour - need to remember that!

1 comment:

jovialjudi said...

Hi Gale! I have to first thank you for all the nice comments you made about my work.That means the world to me coming from you as you are a special and talented lady. Your cards were all fabulous today! I am so glad you joined in the fun. I have had the best time talking to fellow stampers and looking at all the wonderful creations.I so miss the Cape! We visit the NC beaches often (we have one married son who lives on the coast) but I will never lose the memories I have of spending my summers in Falmouth. Hugs to you!! Judi