No - this is not my house . . .

This photo was part of a creativity exercise I did a while ago which was a study of light, shadow and textures. This is one of a group of rental cottages in Truro, MA which is here on Cape Cod. Check out the slide show for more pics.







To view a larger image of the photos in my posts - just click on the image. Then use your browsers back button to return to the blog post.

08 September 2010

Challenges and a case of a cased card

I created a couple of cards for some SCS challenges and I also made a birthday card that was a case of an earlier card I made which was a case of someone else's card (sounds like an old Nancy Drew novel "The Case of the Cased Card").
The first card was for the SCS Featured Stamper for this week: Emily (Stampingout).  She has a very Clean and Simple (CAS) style which always comes out elegant.  A card that got cased a lot was called Music of my Heart.  I wanted to create a card featuring the Music embossing folder I got this summer and this seemed like a perfect card for that.

Song in the Heart of a Friend
Punch is MS and sentiment is Serendipity Stamps. Glad I found a reason to use that music charm I have had for ages!  I will say it did not seem to have a lot of appeal for the group participating in the FS challenge - but then a lot of cards in that challenge barely got viewed or commented on.

Of course the next card was for Mothermark's Teapot Tuesday Challenge.  This week we had big doings in the butterfly world: Look at Us Fly! We're So High! Time to Try a Fly-by!
We needed to bring some well behaved butterflies to the tea party to get Turbo and Tucker back in line instead of acting like Top Gun butterfly “fly boys”.
So here is my story: Wanda Wings was the winner of last year’s Butterfly Festival bringing awards in for appearance, grace and use of air thermals for flying. She would have been to this year’s festival but her application was misdirected (we suspect Turbo and Tucker were behind this sad state of affairs). Wanda spent time instead with the synchronized butterfly flight team, working on their new routine. There is hope that they will make this an event in the summer Olympics – but they need 42,000 signatures on the petition just to be considered. It was while Wanda was developing a pattern of hundreds of circling butterflies - see all the butterflies behind her - when she received a call from Tilly and Emma asking for her help. Their thinking is if Turbo and Tucker learn they can go to the Olympics by flying beautifully then they will put this top gun nonsense out of their heads.

This is a tilt card so the butterfly actually moves back and forth (see inset on the photo of the butterfly facing the other direction). I found the instructions here: Oodabug Alley.  Butterfly was sent to me in a swap as an image (no idea whose – wish I did). I colored with copics and then used Elmer’s 3D glitter glue in pink and clear. DP are DCWV and sentiment is MSE with Tim Holtz Distressed Ink.

The final card for this post is a birthday card for my Aunt Vi (one of my Dad's many siblings), who will be 87 years old later this month - she is only a few days younger then my mom who would have been 87 on September 15.  They are having a family gathering later in the month at the farm in Kinderhook, NY but its a 4 hour drive each way and staying overnight is not in my budget right now so I wanted to send her a special card.  This is a case of the first card showing one of my previous blog postings Playing in some fun challenges which was a case of a featured stamper.  I changed this one out by changing the orientation from landscape to portrait and changing the shape of the main image to an oval.


Image is Sarah Kay's "Isabella with puppy coco" colored with copic ciaos and cut out with nestiblities oval.  DP is DCWV and EF is Victorian from Sizzix.  Used MS border punch.  Leaves are a free dingbat download cut with my cricut with SCAL.

1 comment:

maryr917 said...

thank you for the kind welcome to the tea party. Yes, my butterfly was done in concord crush. It looked so dark in the picture-people thought it was black
anyway love your butterfly card-coloring is awesome
your aunt's birthday card is so pretty great coloring on this one as well